GW2 Might/Damage Build

Discussion in 'All the Games!' started by TIG, Aug 12, 2012.

1. TIG

TIG I like GOOOOOLLLLD!

Achievement Pts:
    Ratings:
    +1,430
    Looking into a straight up power damage build I came up with this.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fMQ...UMKPdyTiUL;T4AA1CtoyxkjIHbOuck5sKYUwpg9GvCmbA

It focuses on building up power and buffing the hell out of yourself and your pet with might. If you use your cooldowns right you can get 5+ stacks of might for you and 8+ stacks for your pet. I say + because it looks like rampage as one will let you and your pet give each other might on each attack. I will test this out though.

All this might buffing is on top of lots of innate power in the build and the two heavy hitting weapons, Greatsword and Longbow.

To achieve this I put 30 points in marksmanship for the +300 power and buffing signets. as an added bonus you and your pet get opening strikes (vulnerability) and you get a free sharpening stone at 75% health.

Then I went 20 points in nature magic for boons shared with your pet, regen at 75% health, extended regen times, 5% greatsword damage, and boosted vitality.

Finally I put 20 points in beastmastery for boosted pet stats, faster pet skill recharge, and boons like might and quickening zepher on pet swap which is 20% faster.

A few added bonuses that I didn't seek out, but won't turn down is added condition damage and duration and stronger healing. A few bleeds put on by me and my pet will be icing on the cake in this build.

Healing spring is really the only heal I use and I like it in any build that has 15 points in nature magic because you share boons with your pet.
    Sharpening Stone is always strong for added damage. If you need condition removal, I would swap this out with Signet of Renewal.
    Signet of the Hunt is always nice, but if you want more toughness swap it out for signet of stone.
    Signet of the Wild is a must for the survivability and the activate gives might and extra pet damage and size.
    Elite: Rampage as one is a must for this build as you are setting up your pet for some heavy burst.

Playstyle:
    The idea behind the build is drop vulnerability on the foe with longbow 3 and opening strikes, then get in close with the greatsword and hack faces. Swapping weapons isn't as needed as other builds, but you want to use skills on both weapons. Swapping pets is MANDITORY! You and your pet will get buffs galore from this. The only time you want to hold off on swapping pets is when you activate your signets and elite to get the full duration out of those skills.

Have the pets take advantage of faster cooldowns on skills then let them tag in like 80's WWF wrestlers to take advantage of the boons granted on swapping pets. Activate signets when you can get the most damage out of the pet, like right after a swap and get those might stacks up on you and your pet.

Any cat or bird will be great fast attack/crit pets although this build isn't focused on crits. I personally like the hawk/eagle or lynx for bleeds and the jungle stalker for another might application. I would start with the Jungle stalker let it jump in and do a bleed or four, then pop F2 for the might and swap to the Hyena where I would pop my cooldowns for burst.

Hyena will be your highest damage pet and I suggest only popping signets and the elite after you summon him and pop his F2. Now you have 2 hyenas with cripple, knockdown, increased size and damage, stability, fury, swiftness, quickening zepher, and at least 6 stacks of might.

Mediocre toughness is offset by high health and bonuses to healing and the time regen stays applied. When in close its a good idea to fight in a healing spring so the enemy will have a hell of a time killing you or your pet.

Fight Rotation:
    Have your sharpening stone activated. Starting a fight with longbow 3 will give your enemy 3 stacks of vulnerability and your pet swiftness. Add 2 more stacks of vulnerability from opening strikes from you and your pet that are 100% crit. Swap to your greatsword and use skill 3 (swoop) to close distance. Have your jungle stalker out to start the fight so that she hits with another vulnerability (6 total at this point) and a 4 stack of bleeds. Swap to the hyena and activate his F2. He should now have 4 stacks of might from swapping and your boons, and quickening zepher from the swap. Activate signet of the hunt and signet of the wild. He should now have 6 stacks of might, quickening zepher, larger size and boosted damage (twice). Activate Rampage as one and add fury, swiftness and stability. Every time you attack now he will gain even more might stacks. This guy (and his clone) are now powerhouses. Now you start in with Greatsword 2 to stack 3 more bleeds on your foe and greatsword 5 to daze him while the pets go to work. Toss in a well timed block and counter attack with Greatsword 4 as needed.

If this initial attack doesn't kill the enemy by the time the boons wear off in 20 seconds swap the Jungle stalker back in and let her use her skills and put them on cooldown. Don't forget to get that F2 might buff up again. Switch to longbow as needed to push the foe back with Longbow 4 or drop some heavy aoe with Longbow 5.

If you are getting hurt and movement and dodgeing isn't enough, drop a healing spring and try to be in it at least once every 3 seconds to get that regen ticking.

Just keep swapping the pets in and out as long as the signets and elite are on cooldown to give them a rest, buff them up, and to let them use their skills. Swap weapons as needed and try to keep that might boon up as much as possible.

=======
    I will be trying this build out in the hour we have in the stress test on sunday. I'll report afterwords.

2. Gyoin

Gyoin Over Analystical Extreme Gambler

Achievement Pts:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    At first glance I really don't care for this build actually. It seems too far spread out for what you're trying to achieve, and with a boons wipe opponent will leave you significantly weaker. The bleeds aren't buffed at all and I think we all have a habit of wanting those sharpening stones at all time might be better off having something else since you can't stack these bleeds heavy or long enough to be sustaining damage, but an easily wiped condition.

But hey, let me know how it works out in the stress test! I could be wrong.

3. TIG

TIG I like GOOOOOLLLLD!

Achievement Pts:
    Ratings:
    +1,430
    Ya, the bleeds are just a bonus. I don't even take sharpened edges. The focus is more on power stacking and might stacking. Its possible that rampage as one will stack might on the pet to super high levels, like 20 stacks or so. I may just swap out sharpening stone for signet of renewal, because I think everyone will be going for condition builds. Wipes will be a must I'm guessing.

The weapon choices may even have to change because GS got nerfed since early beta and I hear 1h sword is super fast so that may make up for its lower base damage.

Ill be frapsing my testing so I can see some actual numbers.

4. TIG

TIG I like GOOOOOLLLLD!

Achievement Pts:
    Ratings:
    +1,430
    Just got done with 1 hr stress test and the first impressions is that I do ok damage, but my pets hit like a truck. The hyena or the jungle stalker can kill the heavy armor golem by themselves about twice as fast as I can and thats with no extra buffs from me.

The real test was killing the elite monster: chieftan uru-something. With my spirit/bleed build I could kill him pretty easy if I got at least 13 stacks of bleed on him. with this build I couldnt kill him once and he kept killing my pets. Some of that may have to do with me being bad at the new rotation, but I think it has to do with the weapons and the build not buffing my damage enough.

It did seem like the greatsword was kind of suck. the shortsword killed faster using just the #1 attack and has quicker cooldowns and can have an offhand like horn or dagger. The longbow seemed lackluster for the up close fighting that you get with the build.

Then I tried to test some numbers with all the different weapons, but I will have to look at the numbers to see for sure. I did fraps it with the combat log up but the conditions dont show up on the combat log.

5. TIG

TIG I like GOOOOOLLLLD!

Achievement Pts:
    Ratings:
    +1,430
    first numbers are in:
    here is my stats with the build

The lynx with opening strikes that crit fighting the heavy golem with no help from me.
    Lynx dropped a 4stack of bleeds at 20 seconds and a 4 stack of bleeds at 15 seconds
    The golem got 1 vulnerable from the lynx and 1 vunerable from opening strikes

Total time to kill 20 seconds
    Total damage 14,814
    Total bleed damage 3182
    74 bleed ticks at 43 damage each

Total dps 741
    Bleed dps 159
    Bleed percentage of total damage 21%

---------

Hyena with opening strikes that crit and his F2 clone
    Main Hyena had 3 stacks of might from the pet swap before the fight
    Golem got 2 stacks of vulnerability 1 each from the Hyena and its clone
    No conditions

Total killtime 16 seconds
    Total damage 13,796
    Main Hyena dps 8,226
    Clone Hyena dps 5,530

Total dps 862
    Main Hyena dps 514
    Clone Hyena dps 346

6. TIG

TIG I like GOOOOOLLLLD!

Achievement Pts:
    Ratings:
    +1,430
    couple of things I found:

Might gives 35 attack power and 35 condition damage per stack.

Opening strikes drops 2 stacks of vulnerability on the foe when you attack and another 2 when your pet attacks.

Opening strikes happens only for the first strike of the fight, if you pull out another pet after your first pet used opening strikes then that second pet doesn't get opening strikes.

Vulnerability adds 3.5 points of damage per hit at lvl 80 vs heavy armor when using barrage. Each hit went from 293 to 286 when 2 stacks of vulnerability dropped off.

Fury may be one of the best boons in the game giving you a flat 20% extra crit chance.

Individual rapid fire shots can crit. In fact any multi attack thing can have individual shots crit, even skills that change to 3 different things like greatsword 1. I had the first and 3rd action crit on a single rotation.

7. Bacon

Bacon

Achievement Pts:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Interesting build. I'll have to try it out on release. I do have a couple questions.
    1. Are you activating your 2 signets and Rampage as One on a single fight or are you stagering them per opponent? I ask because my only concern would be in a 2 on 1 fight. You could probably kill off your first enemy pretty quickly with that rotation but once both signets and RAO are on cooldown you're kinda on you own with just Sharpening Stone for about 60 to 70 seconds waiting on cooldown for signets, and longer for the elite cooldown. And if you did stager say 1 or 2 signets per fight and ROA for a seperate fight, do you think it would still work? Again, in my humble and probably completely ignorant opinion this seems like a beefy build for 1 on 1 fight but I'm kinda nervous about multiple opponents in back to back fights.

2. I'm curious why you chose not to pick Signet of the Beastmaster in your Signet heavy build. I'm not judging, I'm asking because I only ever used it during the first BWE1 with Signet of Stone and the invunerability seemed pretty great. Having the active affects of signet of the Hunt and Signet of the Wild on you for a few seconds would seem pretty boss too. Is there a down side to it? I completely understand you're limited to 3 choices in the marksmanship traitline so something has to be on the chopping block, but since you're not going for a heavy (balls to the wall) condition build, wouldn't this build be better served with replacing Keen Edge with Signet of the Beastmaster? Again, I ask out of curiousity, not out of outright knowledge.

Anyway, ThatOneGuy I appreciate the different builds you post up in here. Many of them are creative and not the typical builds you see everyone posting on the other forums. They make me think about other options outside the box. Dammit, I just wish I had more time to test them ALL!!! COME ON AUGUST 25TH!!!

8. TIG

TIG I like GOOOOOLLLLD!

Achievement Pts:
    Ratings:
    +1,430
    Thx for the kind words bacon. I only got to test this build out for about 30 minutes against stationary golems and the elite guy from spvp maps who were in the testing area in the mists. I also sucked at trying to activate things in the right order and got no good testing in. The (flawed) testing I did get in showed me that this build isn't that strong. It is built around my power and getting might buffs, so since I couldnt achieve that it may be way better than I saw.

Having said that I'll answer your questions:
    1. It would be better to activate the 2 signets at one point then stagger the rampage as one and activate it later. As you said hitting all 3 will give you some major down time. After seeing how little a boost a stack or 2 of might gives there are better ways of getting it than just the signet activation. In fact I would go as far as to say I think a better use of traits is to pick up steady focus, keen edge, and another of your choice, then just not use the activation on the signet of the hunt. The speed increase will help your pet get more attacks on the foe than one crit will. Signet of the wild can be used since it will last at least a little while, but stagger it with rampage as one.

2. Initially I looked at signet of the beastmaster but didn't pick it up because I had no idea what signet of the wild did specifically and knew signet of the hunt only gave a single crit for a 2 minute cooldown. After seeing that signet of the wild lasted for at least 15 seconds (didnt get exact times) it seemed like a ok activation with a long cooldown but I still don't know how much the damage boost is. Like the answer above I think signet of the beastmaster is a kind of wasted trait slot because you wont be using the activations that much except for maybe signet of the wild.

The build is still worth looking into because in theory the majority of your attacks should be hitting pretty damn hard. However I found that the greatsword and the longbow were just nerfed too hard on base damage to see a big increase. The other thing about this build is I was thinking that boosting my base power would help the pet, but I was wrong. The only thing that boosts the pet stats is empathy. They do hit hard from this but are still pretty squishy. Better play and swapping pets and managing pets would have helped me here, but again, I didn't have enough time to get good at the build.

The final point is that gyoin was probably right when he said he thinks the focus is split between 2 things in this build. pets and my power. If I focused on my power I could go down another tree that compliments it better, and vise versa for the pets. I do think there is going to be a good build for conditionless heavy hitting ranger, but I don't think this is it.

After seeing how much damage my spirit/bleed build did I think the meta for gw2 at least for a while will be built around applying and/or wiping conditions. If you can stack conditions you can do tons of damage. I just found out conditions ignore armor too.

worth trying though to find out.